The World's First Face Transplant




Photos show Isabelle before attack, right after her surgery, and today.
Six months on, in November 2005, the French mother-of-two became the world's first ever partial face transplant patient, and doctors placed yet another mirror in front of her and introduced Isabelle to her new face - a face which formerly belonged to a suicide victim.

"You cannot forget someone you see in the mirror every day," says Isabelle in her diary, which is published this week.

"I cannot forget her. I cannot and I will not. She exists in me."

The "she" is Maryline St Aubert, a 46-year-old teacher left brain dead after hanging herself.
For the first time, the 40-year-old has told the story of how her beloved dog ripped her face to shreds and how surgeons made medical history by partially transplanting a new one on to her.A degree of mystery still surrounds the attack in May 2005, of northern France, with only her Labrador crossbreed, Tania, for company.

Last year she admitted she was depressed and had taken medication to help her sleep. She became ill and collapsed, and while she was unconscious her beloved pet attacked her, causing facial injuries of almost unimaginable horror.

Astonishingly - perhaps thanks to shock or the amount of drugs she had taken - when she came round, she had no idea what had happened to her.

"When I woke up I tried to light a cigarette and I could not understand why I couldn't put the cigarette between my lips - it was then that I saw a pool of blood and the dog beside it.

"I went to look at myself in the mirror, and there I could not believe what I saw - it was horrible.

source: Daily Mail